NYLA's Library Advocacy Day
SAVE THE DATE - Wednesday, February 27, 2019
Each year library advocates from across New York State converge on Albany to voice their support for funding and policies that benefit libraries. Their efforts have resulted in over $11M in additional library aid since 2011. To get the basics, including information on security, hotels, and directions click here!
Please note that the information below is subject to change. Contact us if you have any questions!
Summary of Event
Most activities will take place in the Legislative Office Building (LOB). The LOB is most easily accessed from the Concourse, or through the Capitol Building. Prepare for airport-like security while entering the building. NYLA 'Base Camp' will be available in LOB120 beginning at 8:00AM for packet pick-up and sign-in.
Advocacy Day Packets
Materials are distributed to Library Advocacy Day attendees to use in their meetings with legislators and staff, and can be picked up in room 120 of the Legislative Office Building.
The Rally for Library Advocates - 12:00 PM
Gather in the "Well" of the LOB at 12:00 PM for a Library Advocate's Rally!
Join fellow Library Advocates and plan to make your voices heard!
Legislative Office Visits
Meetings with individual Legislators (or their office) are coordinated by library systems, or regional coordinators. NYLA will have a listing of all the legislative office visits that we have been made aware of at the NYLA Base Camp (LOB120).
Please be sure to review the NYLA Legislative Priorities prior to your meetings.
Members of the Legislature have been invited to have their photographs taken for READ posters between 8:30 AM – 2:00 PM.
Click here for a map of the Empire State Plaza (PDF)
Who will benefit from this advocacy?
- ALL NY libraries and citizens.
- ALL libraries and systems which receive direct state aid.
- Many libraries and systems which receive indirect state aid in the form of cooperative services and shared programs from their library system.
- Legislators who need to understand how libraries can help them.
What can I do now to support this effort?
- Call your legislator's office, either at his or her district office, or in Albany.
- Tell him/her how important your library is to the community—and its voting citizens.
- Tell him/her that increased funding for libraries is ESSENTIAL and CRITICAL.
- Use our helpful advocacy tools to help shape your personal message.
- Can't attend Library Advocacy Day? Join in virtually! Post to your Facebook wall, Tweet about Library Aid, or add a button to your library’s website.
Directions & Logistics
Pre-Advocacy Day Activities
Library Advocacy Day Sponsors
Interesting in being a Library Advocacy Sponsor? Contact NYLA Marketing, 518-432-6952 ext. 105