GIRT: Government Information Roundtable
- A New York Library Association Round Table active since 1978
- An organization for all NYLA members who use government sources or are interested in accessing government information
- A group that welcomes and needs your participation
The Government Information Round Table is committed to the furtherance of knowledge and use of all types of government publications; planning and coordinating related programs; communication between librarians and other interested parties working with government documents; publishing materials relating to the government documents field; and encouraging legislation for the improvement of printing, distribution, and utilization of documents.
GIRT members work together to...
- Improve access to government information through contact with public officials, librarians, and government agencies
- Share expertise in developing strong government information programs in libraries
- Provide a forum for continuing education by offering programs and conferences
- Exchange information and ideas to improve and enhance government information service
- Support and contribute to conferences on the New York State and Federal Depository Library programs
- Alert the library community to the importance of access to government information and to pertinent legislative initiatives
GIRT Activities Include:
- Sponsoring programs at the NYLA Annual Conference
- Sponsoring joint programs with local government information interest groups
- Sponsoring annual meetings at the NYLA Conference and occasionally at locations throughout the state
- Serving as an advisory committee on the New York State Document Depository Program
- Sponsoring a publications program to encourage members to write about government information
- Producing a newsletter with information on Federal, State and local government information issues
If you have any questions about GIRT or our activities, contact one of our officers.