YSS Empowerment, Advocacy and Leadership Academy (EALA)
Curriculum and schedule for 2019-2020
Registration opens on June 1, 2019
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER - Registration for 2020 is Closed.
This 7 month program is specifically designed for YS Providers who are interested in developing their leadership skills for personal and professional advancement.
- 3 Full Day in-person Workshops
- 4 Live 90 minute Webinars
- 24 Hours of Continuing Education
YSS Empowerment, Advocacy and Leadership Academy (EALA) Flyer (coming soon)
I. October - Webinar - 90 Minutes
Wednesday, October 16, 2019 / 2:00 PM - 3:30 PM
Before advocating for others and taking on more leadership responsibilities it is important to advocate for yourself and communicate better with others. This course provides a guided exploration to determine and cultivate your personal leadership style, engage in self-empowerment and advocate for yourself as well as your initiatives.
Pre-requisite - Required Reading Emotional Intelligence: Authentic Leadership Harvard Business Review Press 2018
II. November @ NYLA Conference in Saratoga Springs, NY - Full Day Workshop
Wednesday, November 13, 2019
The Community Experience - 9:30 AM - 12:30 PM
Today the customer experience is not just about transactions that happen in your building with patrons but encompasses relationship building internally and externally. This course will include:
- Creating excellent customer experiences where ever, when ever
- Everyday advocacy
- Dealing with difficult customers
- Leading by example so other staff members will excel
Marketing Your Library / Programs - 1:30 PM - 4:30 PM
These are not your mother’s marketing methods but inspiring and innovative ideas to reach your target audience and build lasting community relationships through successful branding and outreach.
III. December - Webinar - 90 minute
Wednesday, December 11, 2019 / 2:00 PM - 3:30 PM
Communication & Presentation Skills
Know your audience and learn how to talk about what they care about! This session highlights fundamental communication skills required for effective library leadership; communication in diverse forms and audiences (including the media)
IV. January In-Person @ NYLA HQ in Guilderland, NY - Full Day Workshop
Wednesday, January 8, 2020 9:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Partnerships, Collaborations & Relationships - 3 hours
Beyond schools and daycare centers, where can Youth Services providers look to for partnerships and collaborations? We'll brainstorm ideas and discuss opportunities and obstacles. We'll also cover the elements of effective library director/trustee/friends interactions and why understanding these relationships is important, even if you don't aspire to become a library director.
Human Resources / Interviewing / Management - 3 hours
Managing others can be most challenging. Whether you are managing a large staff, one or two other coworkers or volunteers, this daily activity can take up to 90% of your time. A panel of professionals will discuss interviewing procedures, conflict resolution, legalities and more through team engagement and role play.
V. February - Webinar - 90 minutes
Wednesday, February 5, 2020 / 2:00 PM - 3:30 PM ***DATE CHANGED - WEDNESDAY FEBRURARY 19, 2020 / 2:00 PM - 3:30 PM ***
Practical Planning & Design for Children and Teen Space
Discover smart ways to use the space that you have, ferret out flexible space that can be used more creatively to maximize your library space potential. Hear from experts in the business to help boost creative potential and advocate for funding.
VI. March - Webinar - 90 minute
Wednesday, March 4, 2020 / 2:00 PM - 3:30 PM
Career Advancement / Mentoring Others / Team Building
Chart a visionary course to success and advancement by hearing from others already doing what you want to do. Learn how to mentor others through guidance and team building to help build a stronger staff or prepare you for new challenges ahead.
VII. May @ YSS Conference in Clayton, NY - Full Day Workshop
Thursday, May 14, 2020 - Clayton, NY / 9:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Budget Planning & Financial Management - 3 hours
Budgeting and financial management is a process that begins with the development of a plan for the future. The objective of this session is to increase quantitative skills and use budgetary and financial information to make organizational decisions. This session will highlight fundamental skills required to interpret financial statements and statistics, as well as an understanding of basic budgeting and grants management.
Student Presentations - 3 hours
Students will be required to complete a 5-7 minute presentation on one of the topics presented during this 10 session course incorporating empowerment, advocacy and leadership. Presentation topics will be selected at the beginning of the EALA course with advisor approval.
Moderator: YSS Board
The last three credit hours (1/2 day) of the Empowerment Advocacy & Leadership Academy will be for the completion of a special project. The special project is intended to demonstrate understanding of the program content and/or the demonstration of the leadership role.
Special projects must be one (1) of the following choices:
- Five-minute presentation to the YSS board on May 14, 2020 incorporating one or more principles you have learned to be applied to a particular problem or project happening in your library. Topics should be selected from the workshops in EALA.
- Presentation of a continuing education webinar on a management or leadership topic that is applicable to Youth Services. A summary and outline for this webinar will be presented to the YSS Board on May 14, 2020. Webinar will be scheduled for youth service providers after Board approval for the summer or fall 2020 in a mutually agreed upon date. Webinar content will be presented in front of the YSS Board on May 14, 2020.
- Submission of an article to the NYLA e-Bulletin on a program, event or relevant library related anecdote that happened or is happening in your library. Article content will be presented in front of the YSS Board on May 14, 2020.
- Service in an elected leadership role in a library organization (NYLA Section, Roundtable or non-NYLA organization). A presentation on the orgniazation and position you will be running for, and why you are running for office will be presented to the YSS Board on May 14, 2020.
Detailed summary for special projects are due by Wednesday, January 29 to email@example.com and will be reviewed for acceptance by February 7th.
If you have interest in service as an elected official in NYLA, submit the name of organization section, position, election process/procedure and contact person to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday, January 22 for follow up.
Note: Participants may present their projects in a team format of no more than three (3) people. Elected organization participation is a solo project.
$349 (travel & lodging not included)
$439 / Non-Member Rate