Section of School Librarians (SSL) Update
Submitted by Penny Sweeney, SSL President
My name is Penny Sweeney and I will be the President of SSL for the 2017-2018 school year. I look forward to serving on the NYLA Council and getting to know everyone. I submit the following items for review:
Regional Advisory Council- we are proud to have three new members
- Sue Kowalski
- Susan Polos
- Juan Rivera
American Association of School Librarians (AASL) conference (Nov 7-11)
- Rollout of new AASL standards
- Michelle Miller, immediate Past President, Sara Kelly Johns and I will be working on the rollout in New York State.
NYLA/SSL Conference (Huntington Hilton, Long Island, May 3-5)
- Guest speakers include
- Pernille Ripp (author of Passionate Readers)
- Ellen Oh (We Need Diverse Books)
- Barbara Stripling (2017 Winner of the ALA Joseph W. Lippencott award)
- Steven Sheinkin (Knickerbocker recipient)
- Hope to see you there!
- Review of our SLMPE Rubric
- ESSA state plan has been submitted. We had active participation on the NYSED ESSA Think Tank, with members of SSL and SLS on all 6 subcommittees
- NYSED has rolled out Next Generation ELA, Science, SS, and Math standards that school librarians are learning and supporting.