PLS Public Libraries Building Awards - Renovation and Restoration
This year’s Building Awards will go to a library in a community serving less than 20,000 in population, as well as a library in a community of over 20,000 in population.
The focus of the two awards is the impact that a construction project has had on the library’s ability to provide services to its community. Emphasis will be placed on projects that demonstrate cost effective solutions to space challenges as well as innovative usage of space and floor plans.
These Building Awards are for Renovations and Restoration only. The New Construction category can be nominated in 2019.
Both libraries to receive recognition will receive a $1,000 cash award, a display plaque and an official press release from the Public Libraries Section of NYLA for the library to distribute to local media outlets.
• A Public Library in New York State
• Attendance at the 2018 NYLA Conference
• Current Public Libraries Section Board Member Libraries’ are Ineligible
• Previous Winners are Ineligible
Applicants must submit a 2 page maximum narrative that includes:
• Demographic information about the community: population served, annual budget, annual circulation
• Before and after photographs
• Before and after floor plans
• Goals and objectives
• Project budget
• Explanation of need, planning involved, community benefits, public response, press coverage.
• Copies of marketing material that was utilized to inform the community of the project and to gain support
*Photographs, floor plans and marketing materials can be submitted as addendums.
All renovation and restoration projects must have been completed by December 31, 2017.
Application deadline is June 29, 2018. To apply for a Public Libraries Building Award, please email a narrative meeting the criteria outlined above to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Public Libraries Building Award” in the subject line. Questions may be sent to the same email address.