Mary Bobinski Innovative Public Library Director Award
The award was established in 2010 by Dr. George Bobinski, Dean and Professor Emeritus of Library and Information Studies at the University of Buffalo, to commemorate the memory and accomplishments of his wife, Mary Bobinski, Director of the Amherst Public Library in Erie County from 1973-2006. She was a past President of NYLA’s Public Library Section (PLS) and past President of the Public Library Directors Association. Mary Bobinski passed away on November 20, 2009.
Given to a public library director who during the past two years developed or implemented an innovative program leading to an increase in financial support and/or usage of their library by:
• Demonstrating the value and importance of their public library to community leaders and local government officials.
• Enhancing the image of the public library through an innovative public relations program publicizing the resources and services in multiple media formats.
• Developing new programs and services to attract users and non-users.
Evidence of success includes the following:
• Increase in library usage through such measures as circulation figures, attendance statistics, library cardholders, etc.
• Increase in financial support in the regular budget and/or in gifts and contributions from the community.
Recipient must be a NYLA member and attend the Annual Conference to receive the award.
Recipient will receive a check in the amount of $1,500 [increased from $1,200 at the request of Dr. Bobinski]
Recipient will be acknowledged at the Awards Banquet at NYLA’s Annual Conference, on the NYLA website, and in the NYLA Voice.
2020 - Melissa Tacke, Casleton Public Library (stipend increased to $1500)
2019 - Caitlin Johnson, Schuylerville Public Library
2018 - Galina Chernykh, Harrison Public Library
2017 - Carol McCrossen, Moffat Library Of Washingtonville
2016 - Chris Finger, Geneva Public Library
2015 - Pauline Emery, Southeast Steuben County Library
2014 - Patty Uttaro, Rochester Public Library
2013 - Judith Wines, Altamont Free Library
2012 - Susan Considine, Fayetteville Free Library
2011 - Thomas W. Galante, Chief Executive Officer, Queens Library
2010 - Brian Hildreth, Director, David A. Howe Library