NYLA-Lake Placid Scholarship,
sponsored by the Lake Placid Education Foundation and the New York Library Association
[Previously known as the NYLA-Dewey Scholarship]
The NYLA-Lake Placid Scholarship provides financial assistance to enable an interested and deserving student to pursue a Master’s Degree in Library Science at an ALA-accredited library school in New York State.
The recipient of this award will receive approximately $1,000.00 to cover tuition costs and related expenses. In addition, the winner will receive free attendance at the first NYLA Annual Conference to be held after the awarding of the scholarship (this includes a ticket to the awards banquet but does not include travel and lodging).
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
1. Be a full- or part-time student, or been accepted into an ALA-accredited library school or school of information science located in New York State. The winner must be matriculated in a library school by the time they receive the award.
2. Students must have maintained at least a B average during the semester preceding the award and transcripts must be provided to receive payment.
3. The successful candidates are expected to work in a library or library system in New York State for at least two years upon graduation.
4. To be eligible to apply for the scholarship, both the student and the library school must be members of the New York Library Association.
Three major factors will be considered in awarding the scholarship: a) evidence of a commitment to a career in librarianship, b) demonstrated leadership ability, and c) scholarly excellence.
The winner will be notified by December 1. The award will be made available in time for the student to meet the Spring term's tuition costs.
The following people are excluded from applying for the NYLA-Lake Placid Scholarship: Board members, officers, employees or relatives thereof of the New York Library Association as well as board members, officers, employees and their relatives of the Lake Placid Foundation.
Note: Applications forms are to be submitted to the Dean of the Library School or Information Sciences at the ALA accredited institution you have been accepted to or are attending by September 30th. Only one NYLA-Lake Placid Scholarship per library school will be awarded each academic year. Preference whenever possible should be given to applicants representing minority and diverse populations.
NYLA - Lake Placid Scholarship Application
• Each recipient will receive $1,000 to cover tuition costs and related expenses and registration to NYLA’s Annual Conference (including a ticket to the awards banquet).
• Recipients will be acknowledged at the Awards Banquet at NYLA’s Annual Conference, on NYLA's website, and in the NYLA Voice.