Annual Library Advocacy Day
Tuesday, February 25
Each year library advocates from across New York State converge on Albany to voice their support for funding and policies that benefit libraries. Their efforts have resulted in over $11M in additional library aid since 2011. To get the basics, including information on security, hotels, and directions click here.
Please note that the information below is subject to change. Contact us if you have any questions!
Summary of the Event
Most activities will take place in the Legislative Office Building (LOB). The LOB is most easily accessed from the Concourse, or through the Capitol Building. Prepare for airport-like security while entering the building. NYLA 'Base Camp' will be available in LOB 120 beginning at 8:00AM for packet pick-up and sign-in.
Advocacy Day Packets
Materials are distributed to Library Advocacy Day attendees to use in their meetings with legislators and staff, and can be picked up in room 120 of the Legislative Office Building.
The Rally for Library Advocates - 12:00 PM
Gather on the stairway in the "Well" at 11:45AM for a group photograph before we kick-off our annual event at the Advocate Rally at noon.
Join fellow Library Advocates and plan to make your voices HEARD!
An Owl Cowl is a large loose light yellow (lemon) scarf, to represent the MLS cowl.
Keep your advocacy based knitting going. Help library advocates stand out in the crowd!
Not a knitter? WEAR YELLOW to designate yourself as a library advocate!
Legislative Office Visits
Meetings with individual legislators (or their office) are coordinated by library systems, or regional coordinators. NYLA will have a listing of all the legislative office visits that we have been made aware of at the NYLA Base Camp (LOB120).
Please be sure to review the NYLA Legislative Priorities prior to your meetings.
Please tell us about the visits you have scheduled - HERE.
Members of the Legislature have been invited to have their photographs taken for READ posters between 8:30AM – 2:00PM.
Click here for a map of the Empire State Plaza (PDF)
Who will benefit from this advocacy?
- ALL NY libraries and citizens.
- ALL libraries and systems which receive direct state aid.
- Many libraries and systems which receive indirect state aid in the form of cooperative services and shared programs from their library system.
- Legislators who need to understand how libraries can help them.
What can I do now to support this effort?
- Call your legislator's office, either at his or her district office, or in Albany.
- Tell him/her how important your library is to the community—and its voting citizens.
- Tell him/her that increased funding for libraries is ESSENTIAL and CRITICAL.
- Use our helpful advocacy tools to help shape your personal message.
- Can't attend Library Advocacy Day? Join in virtually! Post to your Facebook wall, Tweet about Library Aid, or add a button to your library’s website.
- Interested in bringing your students? Click here for guidance from our Youth Advocacy Committee.
Coming Back for #NYLALAD20
Real People. Real Dollars.
Real People. Real Dollars is an effort to drive more library advocates to the NYLA Online Advocacy Center and increase awareness of Library Advocacy Day. For the second year, we’re calling on libraries from across the state to participate in the Real People. Real Dollars. campaign. Investing in libraries has a big return on investment for the communities they serve, help us tell that story in pictures as we prepare for Library Advocacy Day!
Pre-Advocacy Day Activities
Travel to Albany one day early (Monday, February 24)and partake in some top notch professional development, the Library Advocates Luncheon, and more!
Complete details on Pre-Advocacy Day 2020
Virtual Library Advocacy Day
Can't make it to Albany on Tuesday, February 25, 2020 for Library Advocacy Day? Not to worry! There are many other ways you can contribute to the effort and speak out for libraries.
Click here for tweets and pictures!
Library Advocacy Day Sponsors