Senator Hugh Farley Outstanding Advocate for Libraries Award
To recognize and honor an individual who, or a group that, has made a far reaching, sustained contribution to the promotion and/or support of library and information services to the people of New York State or residents within a designated service area within the State. Recognition may include lifetime NYLA membership, citation, and gift.
An individual who is not an employee or trustee of a library or information service or a group without a primary library affiliation that has worked to improve attitudes or support for library and information services.
Awards may be considered for significant contributions in at least one of the following:
- Promotion of library services through any means of dissemination and information.
- Promotion of creative uses of technology in the delivery of library and information services.
- Promotion or development of a sustained legislative approach to improving the ability of libraries to provide for expanded user services.
- Promotion or development of a program resulting in sustained increase in voluntary support for library and information activities.
- Significant influence on attitudes of public or private officials who are in a position to support the improvement of library and information services.
- Creation of original work, regardless of the medium used, which substantially contributes to the improvement of attitudes toward or perceptions of library and information services.
2018 - Bernard (Bernie) Margolis
2017 - Assemblywoman Michaelle C. Solages
2016 - Senator Thomas O'Mara
2015 - Senator Betty Little
2014 - Robert Hubsher, Ramapo Catskill Library System
2013 - Joe Eisner, Planview-Old Bethpage Public Library
2012- New Yorkers for Better Libraries PAC
2011 - Libby Post, Communication Services
Jimmy Van Brammer, Christine C. Quinn, Domenic J. Recchia; New York City Council
2010 - Ellen M. Bach & Robert T. Schofield, Attorneys, Whiteman, Osterman & Hanna LLP
2009 - Vincent Gentile, Council Member, NYC Council
2008 - Amy Paulin, NYS Assembly
2007 - Honorable Vincent Leibell III, NYS Senate
2006 - Ross Kitt & Phyllis Pittman Kitt
2005 - The Honorable Sandra Galef - NYS Assembly
2004 - Edward A. Diana
2003 - Edward L. McCormick
2002 - Senator Thomas W. Libous
2001 - Richard D. Mills, NYS Commissioner of Education
2000 - The Regents Commission on Library Services
1999 - James C. Dawson
1998 - John Lansing
1997 - Assemblyman Ed Sullivan
1996 - Assemblyman Marty Luster
1994 - De Witt Wallace - Readers Digest Fund
1993 - Anna Lobosco
Additional Previous Recipients
Nat Hentoff, Gordon Ambach, Laura Chodos. Citizens to Save Libraries, Buffalo, Elliot Goldstein. Brooke Astor, Harold Hacker, Claire Shulman, Major Owens, Dr. Barry Farnham.
Nomination Form for the Senator Hugh Farley Outstanding Advocate of Libraries Award (PDF)
Senator Farley pictured with the 2016 recipient of the Senator Hugh T. Farley Outstanding Advocate for Libraries Award, Senator Thomas O'Mara, and NYLA Presidents, past, present, and future.