YSS Pied Piper Award
The Pied Piper Award recognizes excellence in the creation of an individual program that promotes service to the young people of New York State Libraries and is replicable at other libraries. Submissions are judged on originality, program implementation, program content, and marketing of said program.
Amount$200.00 gift card from Barnes and Noble
Annual DeadlineJanuary 31 for programs presented in the last 365 days.
For further information or to submit your application materials,
1. All submissions must have been created and implemented in a New York State library within the twelve months prior to December 1st of the award year.
2. The applicant must be a current member of NYLA/YSS an d working in a public library, school library, or library system in New York State. If a submission has multiple applicants, at least one applicant must be a NYLA/YSS member. Evidence of applicant’s current membership in NYLA/YSS must also be included with submission as a page print out from the NYLA membership page or a printed receipt for paying to join/renew as a member.
3. All materials submitted must be free of all copyright restrictions. The copyright statement on the application form must be signed.
4. Submissions should include:
- a. Why the program was implemented
- b. Instructions on how to implement program
- c. The intended audience of the program
- d. Publicity generated and/or marketing materials made for the program
- e. Results achieved
5. Submit three (3) full color sets and one (1) black and white master set of all program materials if submission is mailed, or one color copy if emailed.
- The winner will be announced at the YSS Spring Conference.
- The Director of the winning library will receive a letter to inform him/her of award.
- YSS Executive Board members and Pied Piper Committee members may not apply for the Pied Piper Award during their term of office.
- By submitting an entry, all responsible parties agree that other librarians may use, reproduce, and/or adapt the work to their own needs, provided proper credit is given. The basic concept of the printed material or program must be relatively easy to reproduce.
- Those responsible for submission o f the winning submission may be asked to do one of the following:
- Create a presentation board to be displayed during the YSS Spring Conference.
- Supply copies of their publication or program information for distribution to YSS members at the Spring Conferen ce.
- Present their program at the roundtable during NYLA Conference or the following year’s YSS Spring Conference.
- Submit the information electronically so that it may be reproduced in our YSS Newsletter or on the YSS website.
List of Award Recipients
2021: Fractured Fairy Tale Escape Room
Katie Brand and Jessica Leviness, The Smithtown Library
Teen Fractured Fairy Tale Escape Room
Teen puzzle worksheet
Children's Fractured Fairy Tale Escape Room
Children's puzzle worksheet
View past winners here.