Steps for Forming a New Round Table
- Assemble a core group (you need at least two people, one who will serve as President, and one who will serve as Treasurer) Ideally you should have enough people to populate a board for the group, including someone who is committed to serving as President in year-two.
- Craft a statement of purpose. What is the goal / mission statement for the group?
- Circulate a Round Table Formation Petition (see template) – you need to collect at least 25 signatures from current NYLA members – if you have a slate of officers that should be included on your petition
- Submit your petition, along with your statement of purpose and slate of officers to the NYLA Council for approval
Once approved you will need to:
- Complete and submit by-laws for your new Round Table (within one year)
- Have each officer (and ideally all petition signers) join the new Round Table @ $10 each
The following actions by NYLA are triggered upon approval by Council:
- Establishment of a financial account for the Round Table
- Addition of the new Round Table to membership forms, both in print and online
- Set-up of a Round Table webpage on the NYLA.org site
- Set-up of a listserv to serve the Round Table members
- The new Round Table will be eligible to sponsor programming at the current year NYLA Annual Conference provided that the group is approved prior to June 1
Any proposed new round table cannot impede on the purpose of any existing section or roundtable. NYLA can help promote and circulate your petition.
A motion has been advanced by NYLA Members
Purpose: To support
By signing this petition I hereby affirm my support the formation of a
Please return this completed form to NYLA via fax or hard copy, via the address above.